Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Kids without Parenting Skills

OK, I am on my soapbox. Now I know why most of our parents don't have parenting skills. Because they were kids when they became parents. I had a child say today that his/her mom was going to be 24 tomorrow. Well he/she just turned 9 a few months back. I said, "Didn't you just have a birthday?" He/She said, " Yes I'm 9 my mom was 14 when she had me. So another student speaks up. My mom was 14 when she had my brother/sister. And then another, My mom was 15 when she had me. Well no wonder they don't have any parenting skills. They were kids when they became parents and never had their teenage years. Of course our great country is doing it's best and we now give parenting classes for parents of students. But as you guessed it those that need it don't show up. They don't even know they need it. I remember conferencing with one of these parents and after I had made a suggestion for a consequence the question was can I do that? And where were the parents of these teenagers? Not using their parenting skills. I know some will sneak around and you can't help that, but don't we know where our young teenagers are and who they are with? Ok, I will stop. Don't even get me started on all the kids in my classroom that are being raised by Grandparents because the parents just don't want to be a parent or take responsibility. Of course that leaves me with the two that I am raising because one just didn't want to mess with them anymore and dropped them off at the children's home and refused to take them. I always thought a parent's love was just there and responsibility, well I didn't know it needed to be taught to our children that children are a responsibility.

3 comments:

Gene Holley said...

This is a great soapbox to be on! There are way too many messed up young people out there. They are basically out of control and that is a scary thought for our future.

Linda Elms said...

This is so true! I know you see more than you want to see on a "daily basis" but that's why God has placed you in the lives of these young people. YOU ARE MAKING A DIFFERENCE! Keep up the great work, Barbara! You never know who will come to you in years to come and say their life was changed because of you.

Keith and Carla said...

So sad! I just can't imagine...glad someone like you is there to make that difference in their lives.