Sunday, April 22, 2007

Flying the Friendly Skies

We flew out yesterday from our airport with a connection in Dallas to Chicago. The flight was a little rough. We flew first class from Dallas to Chicago which was a nice experience. We had warmed nuts, and a fresh warm chocolate chip cookie. Our drinks were served in glass instead of plastic. So we are here waiting for the appointed time.

"The Lord's Will be done" This is really an orientation and or evaluation to see if they will accept me in the trial. They have said that I am the kind of patient they are looking for, but I guess they need to see me in person. I talked with one lady who has been a friend for many, many years and she was confused as to the condition of my disease. So here it is....and this is just the doctors reports, not the Lord's.

The tumors have all progressed significantly. There are so many of them now and they have grown so much they are not measuring and numbering them like they did. I do have some they are worried about and that would be the one major one between the colon and the bladder. The doctor in Wichita told me that if any of the tumors block my colon or digestive system I will go downhill fast. This is when I told him I have a wedding to be a part of in July. He said he could not promise me anything.

MDAnderson had said all the chemos have been tried and the tumors are smarter and stronger from them. They suggested now trying a clinical trial. Something different. I have been on a chemo pill since then because I was thinking, along with the doctor, that if we go at them a different way we may surprise them, trick them, whatever. My CA125, the drastic ovarian cancer blood test, was up to 101 before starting the pill. Last month it went to 105. The doctor seems to be happy because he said this is stable. I, of course, want it to go down.

The blood test, from what I understand, measures the protein in your blood that this cancer produces. So if it is going down, they are shrinking. If it goes up they are growing and producing more protein. Staying the same makes me happier than going up, but of course going down makes me happier.

So now that more of you know more than you probably care to know, I will be "at rest" also until I get near a computer. The brochure from the CTCA shows they have an area on the fourth floor with computers and everything for the patients to use. They also have a website where you can post information on to your friends and family. Since I am here and just using the resources I guess I will not need to be "at rest". That is unless they get me so busy with tests and all that I can't get up here to the fourth floor again,.

Will miss you all, but I am hoping we will find time to enjoy the experience of going to Chicago. We are a lot further from Chicago than I thought we would be. It took about an hour and a half to get to the hotel from the airport. There was traffic problems some and that was on a Sunday night. I hate large city traffic.

4 comments:

Christina said...

Sis. Barbara will be sure and do some extra praying this week. Just keep up the good spirit you seem to have. I may not can understand what you are going through but we know we serve a God who does. As Bro. Gidroze said last night he is Lord of all or not Lord at all, and we all know that he is Lord of ALL!

Anonymous said...

Oh my I miss you . Your boys are doing great . It may only be the 2nd day but they have been very good . Everytime I have had them in my car they have told me thank you . When they get out of the car they tell me they love me . I let them know the feelings are mutual . I pray that you get the miracle , I believe you deserve . God knows what he is doing . Let Joseph know I miss him too . Love you both bunches , explore the town and have a blast .

Linda Elms said...

Sis. Barbara, I wish I was with you and Joseph! But, since I'm not there in body, I'm there in my heart and prayers. I hope you have a good report while you're there. Wouldn't it be awesome if they started testing and all the tumors were GONE? YES!!!!! That would show how AWESOME our God is! "In Jesus Name let healing come to Barbara's body!"

Cpaturing Life's Moments said...

Barb,
I just wanted to let you know my love and Prayers are with you. Thanks so much for that report of what is going on . It helped alot to know exactly what has been happening. Barb I have a verse for you it is in Psalm 91:4 He shall cover thee with his feathers and under his wing shall thou trust: Just think what a GREAT thing God is covering you under his wing. You are close to his heart and there he is protecting you. He is holding you close tohim Barb draw your strength from him.
I love you dearly Barb we have been like sisters only I am a day older and a day wiser . yeah right LOL Praying for you Barb. You have a great time if you can while you are there. Love ya