Thursday, January 18, 2007

Like Him




"Oh, make me what You want, dear Lord, a vessel You can use!"
I prayed with heart sincere and true-His will is all I choose.
I did not know the tools it took to mold me to His will
but as He worked, I tried to be obedient, calm and still.
It wasn't easy when I felt the chisel sharp and rough
Chip off the refuse from my heart- I cried, "Lord, that's enough!"
And then I felt the wheels go round to turn this pot of clay
In dizziness I cried, "O Lord! I can't stand this today!
Some other time perhaps I'll yield and let You work in me,
The chisel and the wheel are more than I can bear, You see!"
And then I heard His whisper sweet: "My all sufficient grace
Is yours each moment of the day until you see My face.

I never give you more, My child, then you can ably bear.Though harsh it seems and rough to you, My strength is always there! So if you want my will My child, and like Me want to be,
You'll have to yield to chisel sharp, to wheels that shapen thee.
you'll have to feel the furnace hot that tests you to behold
The vessel that I want of you-a thing of purest gold!"
And so my yielding heart cries out, "Yes, Lord, make me like Thee!
No matter what it takes, dear Lord, just work Thy work in me;
Make me a vessel pure and clear and likened to Thy Son,
That all the world may see and know Your work in me You've done!"

by Willa Mae Whitney

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know today isn't the best of days,remember I love you

Tammy Bryant said...

Barbara - you are an overcomer! I appreciate you!!

Karla said...

Thanks for sharing this poem. It is a goal we all must reach for - to be what He wants us to be. Love you!

Linda Elms said...

"Mold me and make me after Thy will!" You are beautiful in the hands of the Potter. He knows what he is creating in you. You do not have to fear when you're in His hands. We continue to pray for His work to be completed in your body. I love you!