Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Parents at Fault, NO


Boys not at fault in attack
A judge, however, refuses to free the suspects in the beating of a homeless man amid self-defense claims.

Can you believe that two elementary students and a 17 year old beat a homeless man and the parents are saying it was not their fault. So why is it okay for boys to beat this man so badly? I am so tired of children not taking responsibility for their actions. Of course, how can they when the parents give them excuses.
As some know I have had problems with one of my teenagers. I have prayed and prayed for him and asked the Lord how I can teach him. I believe the Lord gave me the answer to my prayers from the teenagers mouth. The child said, "I need help and you just don't know how to help me." Wow, when I heard him say that I said, "What?" How dare he put the blame for his behavior on me. It was as if my eyes were opened and I let him know that his father and I have given him everything he needs to be successful. We have taught him right from wrong. The Lord never asks more from us then we are able to give and he expects him to do right. It is not my responsibility for him to behave. His behavior is a direct result of his choices. Grant it he may not think of those consequences in the moment but nevertheless they are his choices. I guess this is why parents want to blame others, because as parents we feel the blame for our child's behavior. And rightly so in some instances, if the child has not been taught by example the right way to live, but then the responsibility has to turn over to the individual. The one who is old enough to make their own choices when they know what they are doing is wrong. Those elementary boys knew it was wrong to beat the older man and now their parents are trying to give them excuses for their behavior. Let them suffer the consequences for their behavior, after all it was their behavior and they knew it was wrong.
And so once again it just feels better to get it out and talk it through. Thanks for listening, or should I say reading.

No comments: