Sunday, February 04, 2007

Eleven Months Ago

Don't feel sorry for me, I can do that enough for myself, but do remember my husband today. It has been eleven months since he left me to be with the Lord. I wish he would have waited a few more years. I know that now he is where God wants him to be and having already made it I am sure he would not come back if he could. I remember all the nice things people said about what an encourager he was. I have tried to be more encouraging to others like he was but it just came so easy for him. I am one of those who thinks others will think I am just trying to be nice and really don't mean what I say. Of course I would never say it unless I meant it, and Joe always meant what he said when he gave his words of encouraging.

I know the boys miss their Dad. David really needs the attention that he use to give him. Time. As Bro. Elms spoke about giving time to your kids, Joe always gave time to his kids. To us, time was worth more than money. That is why Joe never worked out of town. Time watching and helping the kids grow up was worth more than whatever he was going to make working out of town.

I am thankful for the time we had together. I am thankful that he was ready to meet the Lord when he was called home. I know that I will see him again. Heaven grows sweeter every year.

I was reading in one of our magazines how songs have steered away from talking about heaven. I was reminded of the song that had words to the effect of nobody is talking about going home anymore. I love those songs and they have more meaning every year that I live for the Lord.

Eleven months ago heaven became sweeter.

4 comments:

Gene Holley said...

What a great "gettin' up mornin'!" We all have such a great hope and it only makes it sweeter to get to be reunited with those we love so much.

jay5in said...

Oh mom, Julie and I ate alone tonight. We talked about the wedding and thoughts so swiftly turned to Dad. I have told her so many times of how he would have loved to see us together... of how alligator tears would just flow at our wedding. She sweetly envisioned him enjoying it from heaven. I love you!

Linda Elms said...

"When we step inside those shining gates of splendor. Where toiling ends and our tears are ever gone. Among that throng for you I'll be watching. So, look for me in front of the throne." These are the words to a song Sis. Bobbie Shoemake wrote many years ago. One of these days Barbara we will meet Joe "in front of the throne"! What a great day that will be. He remains strong in my memory. There is not and never will be another man like your Joe! We loved him so much and love the memories he left us. What a day when we get over there!!

Anonymous said...

I think of Uncle Joe alot.I think of stories you have told me about when I was younger.I don't remember what you say about how I reacted to Uncle Joe but I do have my own memories.I remember he was the first man I ever trusted.I am so thankful I called him on the third Of March when I got home from the hospital from having surgery.You were doing something and wasn't home.I told him I loved him and I would talk to him later.Well that did not come.I think of how proud of me he would be.Bouncing back from surgeries going to church,now going back to school.His memories live on strong,and I am blessed for having him as MY Uncle.I love you Aunt Barb.