Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Grade Book Online

I love it as a parent and hate it as a teacher.

As a parent I get to sit at my computer, at home or at school and look up my children's grades. I can click on the grade and see what made that grade. This has really cut down on the zeroes one of my sons was getting for not turning in work. In fact he hasn't had a zero in the gradebook in the last two six week marking periods. And so far so good for one of them this six weeks. The other has all kind of excuses that I will let go by for a week and see if he has corrected the problem before I send an email to anyone.

As a teacher I have to make sure all my grades are updated for the progress reports that go out. Of course then you have Mrs. Concerned Mother calling about Johnny's grade because he has 75 and he had a 90 last marking period. Well we have six more weeks to go and a lot of grades. I am sure Johnny will bring it up. How come there are only a few grades for this three weeks? and so on and so forth. You have to make sure your parents understand your grading system. Like if homework is not turned in I just take off 10 points from the work that was done in class. So they may have seen an 83 on the paper but when they look online it is a 73. The joys of teaching.

But all in all I love the grades being online for me to look at anytime for my kids. Of course I don't understand why the high school teachers don't have the grades up every week like we have to.

If you are a parent of a child in the WFISD school district you really need to ask about getting an account to check your child's grades online. You will love it. (and it will keep your teacher on her toes)

Now as a teacher, ask the teacher before blaming her for trying to make your child fail. Believe me, no teacher wants to make a child fail.

Grade book online has an A+ from me.

4 comments:

Karla said...

I also give the online gradebooks and A+! It is a wonderful way to keep up with what's going on and to make sure the boys are getting their homework done and turned in on time.

Linda Elms said...

Sounds like a wonderful tool for parents. We never had that when the boys were in school, but I would have used it if we had. Keep on teaching Barbara. You're wonderful!

Tammy Bryant said...

I love the gradebook online too! I love the automated gradebook period. Hey Barb, I am one of those HS teachers and guess what? I keep my gradebook up to date and get my progress reports out on time. I knew you would be proud.

bouellette said...

Yes, Mrs. Bryant, I never had a complaint about your grades not being there.